Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tomato Pasta

I love pasta. Any shape or form. My favorite kind of pasta is without sauce and tossed with pepperoncino, garlic and a little drizzle of olive oil. I'm not huge on heavy sauces and particularly tend to stay away from the cheesy white sauces.

This is a recipe I bookmarked ages ago from Lolo, and finally got to use it. Finally I found a pasta sauce that I love and it's super easy too. And the pasta isn't drowned in the sauce, it only adds to the flavor.

I made the pasta at home with 50% whole wheat and 50% all-purpose flour, using my recipe.


Tomato Pasta
(original recipe at Vegan YumYum - I made a couple of changes)

1 Large Tomato, cored and chopped
1/4 cup Raw Pine nuts
1 tbsp Pureed Tomato
1/4 cup Water
1 tbsp Olive Oil
4 cloves Garlic, minced
5-6 ounces Pasta (I made a fettuccine-ish shaped pasta)
2-3 tbsp Water

For Garnish: Fresh Ground Pepper, Basil Leaves (torn)

Put a large pot of salted water on to boil. Add the pasta to the boiling water. Cook until al dente, strain and set aside.

Blend the chopped tomato, tomato puree, pine nuts and water (the 1/4 cup) in the blender. Blend well until you get a smooth sauce.

Heat a pan with some olive oil. Add the garlic and saute until slightly browned. Add the mixture from the blender and saute until the raw smell of the tomato is gone (about 3-4 minutes). Add the 2-3 tbsp of water, if necessary, to thin out the sauce.

Add the cooked pasta to the saute pan and toss to coat. Remove from heat. Garnish with fresh black pepper and basil leaves.

This is one of the best pasta sauces I've ever had. It was creamy and delicious. And look at that gorgeous color! Thanks, Lolo!

Now check out what wondrous stuff my fellow marathoners have cooked up in their kitchens:

DK, Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya, Lakshmi, Raaga, Lakshmi, Sripriya and Viji.

35 comments:

Finla said...

Here at home we all are big pasta fans. This looks so yumm, love the way you plated it up

Kitchen Chronicles said...

Looks mouth-watering. My daughter is a big fan of tomato-pasta

CurryLeaf said...

Lovely,I have already bookmarked you basic pasta recipe and this looks very lovely.

Padmajha said...

We seem to share the same tastes!!Bookmarked ur recipe

Medhaa said...

looks delicious, have to try making pasta at home

lakshmi said...

people are going to think we're twins or something - i was going to post pasta, now i have changed my mind

Peter M said...

I really like the addition of ground pine nuts in the sauce...great texture!

Sagari said...

nice and yummy looking pasta arundathi

Unknown said...

I like the first pic Anu! And you have made it like a pro..

Divya Kudua said...

Pasta looks so delicious Anu..I've been drop-jawed when I saw that you make your own pasta..great great going Anu!!

Arundathi said...

Happy Cook - Thanks - Yes, we're big pasta fans here too!

Lakshmi Venkatesh - My daughter too!

Curry Leaf - Do try it - its yummy!

PJ - Cool! Hope you like it!

Medhaa - Do try it - its easy and you'll never go back to store-bought

Lakshmi - haha!! Waiting to see your pasta

Peter M - Yes it gives it a great creamy texture

Sagari - Thanks

Divya Vikram - Thanks

Divya Kudua - You've gotta try too - its easy!

Srivalli said...

hahah..seriously Lak has some sense of humor!..Anu, that pasta looks great!

kamala said...

Pasta looks grt Anu..My daughter love it very much

Unknown said...

great looking yummy pasta ! I wanted some variation with the regular pasta sauce, I think yours looks great:)

Unknown said...

Home made pasta, thats something i have been wanting to try...Looks delicious..

Bhawana said...

as soon as my hubby saw this he said "mast lag raha hai". very good Arundathi, delicious and tempting pic.

raaji said...

we had this sterday with sundried tomatoes and loads of veggies.....love it.urs look so simple.

Ranjani said...

Purrfect pasta, dang girl you amaze me with your super woman pasta making abilities every time!

Deepthi Shankar said...

yumm .. i loved the recipe .. shall try it sometime .. i love pasta too

Unknown said...

looks great ... perfect click...

Unknown said...

Me too a pasta lover and not much on sauce except pesto, I simply love ur sauce.This is very enticing and love to try out soon.

Varsha Vipins said...

that pasta luks so yummy...:)

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

wow the sauce had blended well with the pasta. delectable...

Jacque said...

Oooh, I'll bet they were yummy with the pine nuts.

Lovely noodles!

Anonymous said...

looks fab.... home made pasta eh?? for a pasta junkie... that must be the ultimate fix!! and i am talking of myself here!!

Unknown said...

superb pic. 1st one and yummy recipe too

Bharti said...

Comfort food! We had the same for dinner but yours looks way tastier!

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious comfort food...first pic really makes me hunger..

Anonymous said...

Hmm...looks delicious.We are huge pasta fans. Your pic looks great!

ranji said...

delicious..even i love pasta...it comes in our dinner menu atleast twice a week..but i use store bought pasta and sauce..never made both things at home...ur pasta looks perfect and sauce sounds fantastic!!!

Arundathi said...

Valli - thanks!

Kamala - yeah my daughter too!

Roopa - I hope you try it then!

Madhu - Thanks :-)

Bhawana - I hope both of you enjoy it!

Raaji - Sundried tomatoes - what a great idea

Ranjani - aww you're so good for my ego!

Deesha - do try it!

Srikars Kitchen - thanks

Pearlsofeast - Yup me too - I love pesto

Varsha - Thanks :-)

Ramya Vijaykumar - Yeah it was great - completely coated the pasta.

Jacque - Yes the pinenuts were a great flavor, and i might just try the cashews in the original recipe next time

Arundati - well, you can include me in that too!

Rekhas Kitchen - thank you!

Bharti - yes the ultimate comfort food

Priya - yes truly

homecooked - thank you!

ranji - thanks - do try it at home. its easy and you won't go back to store-bought.

Anonymous said...

Pine nuts swayed me to definitely try this recipe. I can just imagine how rich the flavour is. Smashing!

Arundathi said...

Michelle - its gorgeous and rich...and delicious! :-)

Jamie said...

I just made this last night, it was amazing!

Arundathi said...

Jamie - wasn't it amazing?!