Saturday, November 1, 2008

Cupcakes


This month's Sweet and Simple Bakes was a first for me (as they've all been so far!). But this was a basic cupcake recipe and I was so excited to make cupcakes for the first time! And it was perfect for Halloween to give out as treats for the kids.

Cupcakes
(recipe from Rosie @ Sweet & Simple Bakes)

1 1/3 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
6 oz Butter, at room temperature
1 cup Caster Sugar
3 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 - 4 tbsp Milk
Icing/frosting of your choice

You will need a 12 hole-muffin tin and 12 cupcake paper cases

Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a 12 hole-muffin tin with cupcake paper cases.

Sieve the flour into a bowl and leave aside.

In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar and beat until the mixture becomes light in color and fluffy.

Add one egg at a time beating well between each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and then gently fold in the flour until combined. Stir in the milk until you have a good dropping consistency.

Spoon the mixture equally into the prepared muffin tin and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until risen and golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.


I realized at this point that my decorating skills are sadly lacking. My family was most amused by the cupcakes and didn't think they looked scary in the least!! Oh well. I tried my best, Rosie!!

(they are supposed to be a mummy, a gravestone and a monster!)

For a look at all the other spooktacular cupcakes, check out the round-up.


I'm running in DK's Recipe Marathon for a 2nd time. Wish me luck - one month of a recipe a day! Check out what my other marathoners made today:

DK of Culinary Bazaar,

Siri of Siri's Corner,

Srivalli of Cooking 4 All Seasons,

Ranji of Ranji's Kitchen Corner,

PJ of Seduce Your Tastebuds,

Curry Leaf of Experiments, Emotions, Experiences with Food,

Medha of Cook with Love,

Priya of Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes,

Bhawna of Tastes of India,

Raaji of Raaji's Kitchen,

Ruchii,

Kamala of Nandhu's Corner,

Roopa of My Kitchen Treats,

Divya Kudua of Easy Cooking,

Rekha of Plantain Leaf,

Divya of Divyaz Easy Recipes,

Lakshmi of The Yum Blog,

Raaga of The Singing Chef,

Sripriya of Srikar's Kitchen and

Viji of Viji's Veg Corner.

38 comments:

Unknown said...

The muffins look perfectly baked gal.Good luck running the marathon..

natalia said...

Ciao ! They look spooky and sweet at the same time and this is good ! They were very good in flavor don't you think ? we loved them ! Your marathon sounds lots of work ! I'll follow your efforts "Forza Arundathi" !

Deepthi Shankar said...

those cup cakes looks awesome .. I agree with your family, they look more cute than scary .. good luck with the marathon

lilmizlynn said...

they look spooky! very creative! :)

lilmizlynn said...

I forgot to mentioned... GOOD LUCK! :)

Priya Suresh said...

Cupcakes looks cute n yummy..loved ur creativity through the icing..good efforts Arundathi..

Unknown said...

Oh Arundhati, ur cupcakes are so adorable and lovely.U have got a nice smooth top.

Srivalli said...

Looks great Anu...and good to have you running with me!

Divya Kudua said...

Cupcakes look so pretty...and scary;)..I wanted to take part in S&S bakes too,but my decorating skills are below par...so didnt jump the gun..yours really look nice!!

Srivalli said...

Anu...Kamala's link is throwing error..pls rectify!..thanks for the help..I just copied yours, hope you wont' mind!

Raaga said...

very very cute... not scary, I admit... but cute :-)

kamala said...

Love the mini cup cakes Anu..Nice to run with you.

CurryLeaf said...

Nice to run with u,A.Lovely cupcakes,its hard to believe they are first time for you,as I said earlier,professional touch.Cheers

Rosie said...

Your cupcakes look spooktacular and adore your decorations - well done!

Many thanks for taking part this month in S&SB bake and I hope you will be able to partake next month :)

Rosie x

Arundathi said...

Divya Vikram - Thanks dear!

Natalia - Thank you so much. Yes we loved the flavor and it was so simple to make - I love S&SB recipes - they're great! Yes, the marathon has me quite intimidated - sigh - hope I can do it.

Deesha - Thank you - yes, i guess the cupcakes don't look scary - oh well!

Lilmizlynn - You might be the only one who thinks they look spooky - lol - thank you thank you!

Priya - Thank you so much!

Pearlsofeast - Yeah the tops definitely came out well and the color and flavor were great. Thanks for thinking they're adorable!

Srivalli - Good to run with you!

Divya Kudua - You've gotta jump the gun - if I can attempt decorating, anyone can!! I don't have a single creative bone in my body!

Srivalli - sure, no problem. thanks for telling me about Kamala's link, I'll change it.

Raaga - Sigh! Was so hoping it'll be a little scary!

Kamala - Nice to run with you too!

Curry Leaf - Nice to run with you too! This recipe is fool proof - you have to try it.

Rosie - thanks so much for a wonderful recipe! Its a keeper as always!

Lavanya Raj said...

All the Best for Marathan Arundathi..Halloween cakes are little scary..Nice Try!

Unknown said...

Oh I love cupcakes:) the name cupcakes itself gives me memories about those tiny ones we used to have when I was a kid:)

raaji said...

lovely cupcakes dear....nice to know that u too r one of RM runner...i just picked up the list from DK's...so may take some time to edit

Padmajha said...

Cute cup cakes!!!!Nice to run with u anu..

Ranjani said...

What adorable cupcakes:)

Good luck with the marathon...I tuned in everyday to check what you had cooked up last time, going to check back this time around too.

ranji said...

yummmm anu...really nice effort in decorating it.very cute and funny too :)..its good to be back...happy that u in RM too.

Anonymous said...

i am becoming a really good girl. see i am even leaving comments now. these look so fabulous. i am trying this tomorrow. :D

i have realized that its easier to stay motivated to cooking, not so much blogging.

Bharti said...

Cute! G'luck for the marathon...can't wait to see what u'll be making.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

These look lovely! Much better than the last batch I made. The less said about those the bettter :) Well done you :)

Bhawana said...

yummmmmmmy cup cakes. ikdum fundu cake bane hein.

DK said...

You know what...I was jus showing your blog to TH and u know what he said...I think Anu is totally serious about starting the "shop" in a year..U know what shop I m talking about ;)

I was like probably..look at the baking spree thats going on...U know what - u shud totally start marketing babe..these will fetch you galleons!:)

Arundathi said...

Lavi - Thank you. Atleast you find them a little scary!

Roopa - I hope to create memories like that for my daughter!

Raaji - Nice to run with you!

PJ - Nice to run with you too! Thanks.

Ranjani - I hope you like what you see when you check in! :-) Thanks for being so supportive!

Ranji - Nice to run with you again, Ranji. My daughter thought these were funny as well!

Lakshmi - Ohmygoodness - you actually left a comment - good going my dear! Let me know if you liked the cupcakes.

Bharti - :-) thanks. not sure myself what i'll make for 30 days. whew.

Holler - thank you - i'm sure your cupcakes were fabulous!! its a great theme for No Croutons Reqd - I'll be there for sure

Bhawana - Thanks. Good to run with you.

DK - No thanks!! Don't want to feel compelled to bake!

PG said...

Now, that's surely a chanllenge, a recipe a day! Wow!
The muffins look great! I love making muffins. they are fast to make and require simple ingredients and you can very the toppings or fillings to your taste.

Jin Hooi said...

Awww.. they look lovely !! well done ;-)

Unknown said...

wow they are so cute nito run with you

Anonymous said...

Love the monster cupcake! It's hilarious! (sorry - I know you were going for scary :-))

Maria♥ said...

Your cupcakes look so cute!

Thanks for taking part and hope you will join us in our next bake.

Maria
x

Arundathi said...

PG - Yup, quite a challenge. I love the cupcakes too - thanks.

Jin Hooi - Thank you!

Rekhas Kitchen - nice to run with you too

Hannesofie - lol - my daughter thought it was hilarious too

Maria - thanks will definitely be taking part in nov!

Siri said...

Anu - glad to run RM 2 with u babes and the cupcakes (esp the gravestone) look so cute..:))

Hugs,
Siri

Medhaa said...

love the mini cupcakes.

Lovely to run the marathon with you. Good luck

Arundathi said...

Siri - :) thanks babe... nice to be running with you again too!

Medhaa - good luck to you too!

Unknown said...

so creative

Arundathi said...

Mindy - Thanks!