Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Jalapeno Pretzels

Pretzels are just one more bread that you can't find in India. Not nice pretzels, anyway. The first time I had a pretzel was about 15 years ago, while sailing to the Catalina Islands near LA, on board the ship. It was warm, soft and smothered with mustard and absolutely delicious.

Pretzels are traditionally German and can be either soft or hard. They have also evolved into a variety of different shapes, but the most popular ones remain the original ... um... pretzel design!



Jalapeno Pretzels
(slightly modified from the ones at DK's Culinary Bazaar. Originally Adapted from The King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion.)

The Dough:
2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
2 1/4 tsp Instant Dry Yeast
1 cup Warm Water
4-5 tbsp chopped Jalapeno Peppers

Pretzel topping
1/2 cup Warm Water
1 tsp Sugar
3 tbsp melted Butter (for brushing)
Sea Salt/ Jalapenos/ Cheese (all optional)

Combine all the ingredients together for the dough until they come together to form a messy lump. Empty the dough out onto a kneading surface and knead for 8-10 minutes until smooth and soft.

Place in a well-oiled container and sprinkle with a little bit of flour. Cover with plastic wrap or a tea cloth and set aside for 30-60 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 240 deg C. Dissolve the sugar in the warm water and set aside.

Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll eat piece out into a rope (about 24" long). Holding both ends of the rope, twist the dough into a circle, bringing the ends in and crossing them over to form a knot. Secure each end on the sides of the pretzel.

Dip each pretzel into the water-sugar solution and set on a baking tray. You can add your toppings at this stage if you'd like. You could add sea salt or grated cheese or garlic - the possibilities are endless. Since I added the chopped jalapenos into the dough, I added just a little bit of sea salt to the top of each pretzel.

Let them rest for 15-20 minutes. Then bake for 8 minutes, rotate the baking tray and bake for an additional 6 minutes. As soon as you take them out of the oven, brush the pretzels with the melted butter. Make sure you use up all that butter!


Enjoy!

Check out what my other marathoners are cooking today:

DK, Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya, Lakshmi, Raaga, Lakshmi, Sripriya and Viji.

35 comments:

Unknown said...

The first time I had pretzels were in a flight..i ove the cruncy form..Perfectly shaped Anu..

Deepthi Shankar said...

looks lovely .. I love pretzels too

Unknown said...

Jalapeno is one of favorite hot peppers :) Thats a wonderful idea to make pretzels with them :)

kamala said...

got the perfect shape Anu.Kids love it

CurryLeaf said...

Perfection at best.I love the spiciness in them.

Sunshinemom said...

I feel like a parrot now - everytime I am here I have nothing less to say - Just perfect!!

mitr_bayarea said...

Lovely looking jalapeno pretzels, must taste salty and spicy?

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

What a good job you made of shaping those pretzels!

Unknown said...

good looking pretzels. have got somthing in my site. check it out

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Arundathi the pretzels have come out perfectly well... Lovely crispy and the color too :)

Kitchen Chronicles said...

The brezels look perfect. I very often make it i.e. not from scratch. here they sprinkle rock salts on top. i don't like it that it is too salty. but others in our house like little salt on top.

Bharti said...

Arundathi! What should I say- those look amazing! I can't believe you are making these wonderful creations at home.

natalia said...

How beautiful !!

Unknown said...

I want one now ! i love this.

KAF Customer Service said...

I always feel its great when folks take a basic recipe and modify it so it is even better. Joan @ King Arthur Flour-Bakers hot line

Priya Suresh said...

Wowww.prefect pretzels, Anu tell me r nt u professional baker??..

Medhaa said...

they look great.

Unknown said...

U are tempting me baking great recipes,I haven;t baked pretzel, should try ur version. Sounds awesome.

anudivya said...

I made choc. chip pretzels once, and posted them too, but these look so pretty and perfect.

Bhawana said...

yuuuuuuuummy :). Really it looks soo tempting I wish I cud have in my hand and eat it.

Ranjani said...

How do you have the time and energy to dish out all these spectacular looking baked goods!!
How? how? how?

So marvelous....sigh I need to take a page out of your book and cook something now!

Unknown said...

woooooooow toooo good and what to say no wordssimply superb

Raaga said...

I love the professional look of these :-) Anu... come over now and bake for me please.

Vera said...

Yummy looking pretzels, Arundathi!

Arundathi said...

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Mitr_bayarea - Yes it is slightly salty and spicy

Srikars Kitchen - thanks will check it out

Joan @ KAF - Thank you for your comment - every single recipe of yours comes out perfectly!

Priya - Nope, I'm not a professional baker. :-) Very amateur actually.

Anudivya - Gonna go check yours out. chocolate and pretzel...mmm.

Ranjani - its seriously a huge stress buster for me to bake. I love kneading the dough and the smell of freshly baked bread. You've gotta start baking bread too, girl!

Raaga - Sure, babe, anytime! :-)

Divya Kudua said...

Yummy pretzels and such a perfect shape..;-)

A Kamalika Krishmy said...

Hi Arundati .. visit my blog for a surprise ...

Shama Nagarajan said...

NICE RECIPES.....HV ADDED U TO MY LIST

ranji said...

delicious pretzels anu..i also had my first pretzel on a boat..was going to the statue of liberty :)...loved every bit of it...i will be making one soon..have a recipe i have been wanting to try for sometime :)..

Finla said...

I love the soft pretzels and thes look so yumm.

A Kamalika Krishmy said...

Wish I could bake like you .... Its just awesome .. Please check my blog for the Meme

raaji said...

How come all ur baked recipes look so perfect......i never get them ..i still have to practise

DK said...

aaah! I am sure that wud have smelt heavenly! so when's my parcel coming?

Srivalli said...

This looks so good...next time you are going to make this for me ok!!1..:)

Arundathi said...

Divya Kudua - Thank you

Kamalika - Will do. thanks

Shama Nagarajan - Thank you

Ranji - thats such a coincidence! do make these - they're great.

Happy Cook - thanks

Kamalika - Thanks!

Raaji - um... thanks?

DK - As soon as mine arrives!! LOL!

Srivalli - Will do!