Monday, October 3, 2011

Banana Apple Muffins

I'm always looking for fun and healthy food to bake with my daughter. When I came across Divya's post in her blog, Easy Cooking, on Eggless Apple Banana Muffins, they sounded perfect. I was fine with using eggs, but decided to just follow her recipe. I made a couple of changes though, I added some chopped walnuts, and a small fistful of chocolate chips.


Banana Apple Muffins (without eggs)

3 ripe Bananas, chopped (OR 1 egg + 2 Bananas)
1 cup Apple, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup Butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
1 1/8 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/8 cup Walnuts, chopped
1/8 cup Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 180 deg C.

Mix together the mashed bananas, sugar and vanilla until the sugar is well blended. Whisk in the melted and cooled butter.

Mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, apple and salt). Fold in the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Spoon the batter into a greased and lined muffin pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

The muffins are absolutely delicious. And both my daughters ate them as they came out of the oven!
Thanks for a great recipe, Divya. And I'm excited this is my first eggless muffin recipe, and it's already a keeper.

12 comments:

Vinod said...

I did not get even a whiff of it. Is it because it is a veg muffin?

Radhika said...

I too has bookmarked the recipe after seeing in her space. Glad to know it is a keeper.


Check out my 200th post Giveaway

Srivalli said...

Muffins are such pleasures to eat..:)..nice to know that these were so delicious that it disappeared so quickly!..:)

Priya Suresh said...

Cute looking fluffy muffins..

Manju said...

apple and bananas - two of my favorite things in baked goodies! Looks yumm!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow...awesome combo...love d delicious taste..:)
Tasty Appetite

Poornima Nair said...

Lovely muffins and chocolate makes everything better!!

Javelin Warrior said...

These muffins look delicious - do the apple pieces soften significantly during the baking? I'm thinking of trying this with applesauce because I'm not a huge fan of partially-cooked apple. Maybe if I dice the apple really tiny...?

Arundathi said...

thanks everyone.
@ vinod - we'll make more for you :)
@ JavelinWarrior - the apple pieces still had a little crunch. I would suggest applesauce - a great idea! and yes, you could cut them fine, or grate or even puree them

Divya Kudua said...

Glad you and your daughters loved it Arundhathi.These make for a great snack too!

Divya Kudua said...

Glad you and your daughters loved it Arundhathi.These make for a great snack too!

Javelin Warrior said...

Thanks, Arundathi! I'll try making these with homemade applesauce and see how that goes :)