Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Baked "Fries"

This is one the simplest recipes ever. I make this very often as a side at home and everyone constantly asks me for the recipe. I have a friend who requests this every time we have her over for dinner!

It is also very versatile. Use any fresh herbs that you enjoy. Make it spicy, if you'd like. Use different kinds of oil to see how they adapt - it's totally up to you. But the concept is the same. Here, I used fresh rosemary and olive oil with a touch of crushed red pepper.


Baked "Fries"

3-4 medium Potatoes, cut into wedges or thinner for fries (I used red-skinned, but any kind works fine)
2 tsp Olive Oil (you could also try coconut oil/ sunflower oil/ truffle oil/ garlic-infused oil)
2 sprigs fresh Rosemary, chopped (or basil/ cilantro/ garlic or a combination of dried herbs)
Crushed Red Pepper, or chilli powder (optional), to taste
Salt, to taste

Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.

Toss the potatoes with the olive oil, rosemary, crushed red pepper and salt. Place in a baking tray, as far as possible, in a single layer.

Bake for 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Halfway through, use a wooden spatula and stir the potatoes around the pan and return to the oven.

Serve warm.

25 comments:

Finla said...

I too love baked fries like this.
And this one looks really yumm, just looking to the pic makes me want to grab a whole buunch from the bowl.

Bharti said...

Ah..no guilt potatoes! Lovely..I like the rosemary in it.

A_and_N said...

I love this man! Its a regular :)

And aren't you on a vacation?

Peter M said...

Oh yes...these look ab-fab and I like that you added some heat here!

Lisa Turner said...

There is nothing quite like baked fries. No wonder your guests ask for these!

Parita said...

Delicious and healthy baked fries..feel like grabbing one right from the pic :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

I just love this & is quite a regular at my home too .. haven't tried rosemary .. must be yumm

Indhu said...

this is a regular at my place too... love the addition of rosemary... looks yummy!

Johan said...

Looks yummy and look easy to cook. I'll definitely try.

Thanks for sharing.

Shah cooks said...

i love this especially if its red skinned potatoes with tons of garlic.

magicalsummer said...

just looking at your pictures, i can almost taste these 'fries.' love your simple and simply delicious recipes. first thing friday am heading out to buy myself an otg, then will definitely make some baked 'fries'...need to score brownie points with my daughter, and this seems a safe bet!

Manju said...

so easy, so versatile and of course, soo very tasty!!

bha said...

u can give these fries businesses a run for their money

Priya Suresh said...

Guilty free fries looks yummy!

Sunshinemom said...

Me too loves it like this, girl!!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Looks very crispy and you have made it healthy by baking it... Guilt free snack!!!

Unknown said...

First time here, the dish looks very nice.

amna said...

i do this with sweet potatoes quite often :)

Unknown said...

I make this often when we are out of snacks! Great to munch on! They look perfectly baked!

Sowmya said...

Arundathi, that looks absolutely wonderful... soo soo tempting too..

I do similar ones with Gobi. Bake it and use it even for manchurian...Never thought of trying it with Aloo. I will give a sure try with potatoes too...

U have a nice blog out there...Great collection.. I am just a beginner..I ll follow it and keep coming back...

Anonymous said...

potatoes are an all time fav... plus if u have french fries that are not fried, u get extra points..that basically means u get a 5/5!!:D

Supaar said...

yummy!!! I'm so going to try this!

Malini Sood Horiuchi said...

Looks great - esp with the crushed chili. cant wait to try these. My kids would love them - I always make it with sweet potatoes but never tried regular potatoes.

Arch said...

I tried this last night for dinner! It was so yum! I used a garlic italian seasoning with chilli flakes and oregano! A sure keeper!

Arundathi said...


Thanks everyone!

Sweet potatoes and cauliflower are great ideas - thanks!