Saturday, October 4, 2008

Whole Wheat Pancakes

I first saw this post on Arundati's blog, Escapades, and I told myself I should make this. I wasn't sure though since any whole wheat pancakes I've attempted (with eggs) have been tough and not-so-nice.

Then I saw it on Divya's blog, Dil Se. It was time to stop procrastinating and make it already. So I made them and they were light and fluffy and lovely. We had them drizzled with maple syrup. This picture is off to Click: June (Stacks).


Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup Buttermilk

The only thing I did different was leaving out the cinnamon and reducing the sugar from 2 tbsp. Mix the dry ingredients together and then add the buttermilk. Mix until combined and leave covered for 10-15 minutes.

Heat a pan on low heat. If a drop of the dough dances on the pan, its hot enough. Drop about a quarter cup (or less) at a time onto the pan. When little bubbles begin to form on top, flip it over for a minute until browned. I made tiny dollar pancakes.

Thanks, Arundati for a fantastic recipe. My faith in whole wheat pancakes is restored!


This is off to dear Sunshinemom for FIC: Brown. Its egg-free just for you!

17 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Yummy..looks delicious with maple syrup, really tempting..

Priyanka said...

Healrhy and sweet....pancakes look great

bee said...

it's humongous amounts of baking soda that put me off pancakes. this one's awesome. buckwheat may be even better. love the pics.

Bharti said...

Ah yes, I make this too..its delicious.

amna said...

is buttermilk vegan? this is the simplest recipe i have seen for pancakes

Arundathi said...

Priya - Thanks!

Priyanka - Thank you

Bee - thank you - yes i think even in this recipe, i might reduce it next time. don't get buckwheat here, but yes it should work well.

Bharti - yup they are

Nags - OMG - thanks for pointing that out! Will change the title! :)

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to try something like this for a while. It's great to see that something healthy can also be a sweet treat. Looks great.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

The buttermilk probably keeps these tender and light and fluffy. The maple syrup is a great additon as well:D

Unknown said...

They were too delicious rite..I am making these often nowadays..A quick breakfast fix.

raaji said...

vow arundath!!!!!!those pancakes looks just like the Denny's pancakes......i love the cake there.....

lubnakarim06 said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy. Need i have to say more.

Arundathi said...

Syrie - Yup, everyone was so excited it was (somewhat) healthy!

Valli - Thank you! Definitely true about the buttermilk. Deliciously soft.

Divya Vikram - Yup - its a great recipe. Thanks dear.

Raaji - :) Denny's Pancakes! lol! brings back memories of early breakfast after a long night!

Kitchen Flavours - :) Thannnnkkkkksssss!

Sunshinemom said...

Awesome is how these look! Especially the last picture of a pile of pancakes drizzled generously with maple syrup and looking so tempting against the white background....Whew!! Isn't that long?

I thought I had already commented on this one!! I hope it did not go on to someone else's comment form:(

Thank you, Anu for sending these to FIC brown - I was here sometime back, the day I commented on the brownies!

Y said...

Yum. I love that first photo! Buttermilk pancakes are the best ! :)

Arundathi said...

Sunshinemom - you're very welcome dear and thanks for your lovely compliments.

Y - thanks for visiting. yup - love buttermilk pancakes.

Sanctified Spaces said...

Must try this,its made of whole wheat and egg free.Thanx for the post.

Arundathi said...

@ Sanctified Spaces - Sure glad you enjoyed it.