Sunday, August 31, 2008

Savory Muffins

One of the first blogs I followed religiously was Jugalbandi. I'm left laughing at the jokes, wonder-struck at the photographs and in awe at their humanitarianism.

This is by far my favorite recipe of theirs. When I started to bake, Bee left a comment on my muffin post saying she was going to make a savory version. So I went to their blog to see if they had any recipes. And I found this one. Its soft and delicious and the crust was perfect. The blend of flavors is spot-on. Creamy soft goat's cheese, sweet roasted red peppers and delicious spring onions and garlic. And it leaves room for experimenting.


As does all their recipes. I love their recipe-writing because they answer almost all your unanswered questions before you even ask! For instance, in this post, I had a 12 muffin pan and had one empty spot and Bee had actually said in her post that if you have one empty spot, fill it halfway with water!! It was as close to reading my mind as I want to get!

I made no changes to the original recipe.


Thanks for a fabulous blog, Bee and Jai. This is off to Zlamushka for Tried and Tasted featuring Jugalbandi this month.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

this looks very good...... not the best thing for me to be seeing when i am on orange juice and fruit today as penitence for all the over indulgences of carbs, fats and alcohol......and just for the asking...where did you get goats cheese in india??

Arundathi said...

Thanks A. I got the goat's cheese in Amma Naana in Chennai.

Bharti said...

Nice pick..I want to try this as well but i think it has eggs in it right? Gotta figure out what to do about that.

Rosie said...

Just loving these savory muffins!!

Rosie x

Arundathi said...

Bharti - I'm sure you could just sub extra cheese and/or milk? And this just has egg whites - and absolutely no eggy smell/taste.

Rosie - do try them - they're great!

bee said...

dear arundathi,

i just read your mind (again).

1. you were thinking 'brad pitt is a hunk, but when will he stop collecting babies like baubles?

2. what other veggies can i use in these muffins? try blanched and chopped greens or grated zucchini salted for 15 minutes, rinsed and squeezed dry.

Arundathi said...

Bee - Haha! :D Mind Reader!!! Stop doing that!

I tried it with other stuff too and it was absolutely delicious - the zucchini is a great idea - thanks! and you're right i like the savory more than the sweet too!

Lisa Turner said...

That's fun we made the same recipe, though I did make a few minor changes. Delicious, weren't they?

Cham said...

Looks delicous and beautiful too :)

Dragon said...

I love savoury muffins and these are gorgeous. Yum!

Arundathi said...

Lisa - Yup! They were great! I loved your variations!

Cham - thanks!

Dragon - These were my first savory muffins - and they were delicious!

Unknown said...

Savory muffins look too good..Yet to venture making them

Siri said...

Wowy!the muffins look so moist Anu. Lovely pick!

Rajani said...

verrry nice!

Paru ... said...

Looks lovely..

test it comm said...

Those savoury muffins look good and sound so tasty!

Sunshinemom said...

I saw the original one! Looks great and must have tasted good too, by the mere look of it!

zlamushka said...

fantastic! thanks you so much for this entry. I love those muffins :-)

Arundathi said...

Thanks Guys! It was delicious - all thanks to Bee and Jai!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I love savoury muffins, and am the only one at home. They both want sweet!
So I definitely vote for these.

Arundathi said...

Aparna - I totally agree - same here! These were made exclusively for me but everyone enjoyed it!

Beyond Curries said...

Cute looking muffins. For long time now I have wanted to try savory muffins. Will check there for the recipe.

Arundathi said...

its a guaranteed to bowl you over muffin - we loved it!

Samantha said...

Those are useful tips, really informative. Thanks for sharing. Great post!