Saturday, June 14, 2008

Lentil Salad


I make this healthy salad for breakfast atleast 2-3 times a week. I've experimented with different kinds of sprouts and lentils, and each one has such unique tastes that it's not really possible to pick a favorite.

I've found the easiest lentils to sprout, though, are the Green Gram lentils and the Turkish Gram or Moth lentils. They take an average of 16-24 hours in the hot Chennai weather, so I'm assuming a little longer in other parts of the world. For more on sprouting lentils, please see here.

Quick and Easy Lentil Salad

1 cup Sprouted Lentils of your choice (I used Green Gram sprouts, which are super healthy and delicious)
1/2 cup Cucumber, skinned and chopped
1 Tomato, chopped
1 Onion, chopped (optional - I prefer shallots or spring onions - they lend a less intense flavor)
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice

Dressing: I used a chutney made of grinding together green chillies, cilantro and gram dal (also known as pottu kadalai).


Combine all the above and enjoy a healthy and tasty meal.

This is off to Lisa at the Vegetarian Kitchen for No Croutons Required's Soups and Salads, which features lentils this month.

12 comments:

Finla said...

Tgis is indeed a vry healthy salade.
The plate looks so full of freshness

Siri said...

Sprouts + spicy green chutney --> Y.U.M.M.O.. what else can we can ask for.. nice looking salad Anu..:D

Hugs,
Siri

Rachel said...

I posted a similar one...love your version of the dressing!

Devi Priya said...

I have just made this salad for lunch. But for dressing I just use lemon juice, salt and pepper to keep it simple. That way kids get to eat it too without fuss.

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant idea for a protein rich breakfast!

Sig said...

Nice plating Arundathi..and hats off to you for eating such healthy stuff in the morning!

ranji said...

such a cool and refreshng salad anu..very healthy too:)

Arundathi said...

Happy cook - Yup - can't get much healthier! :-)

Siri - Thanks :)

Rachel - loved your version too - just checked it out.

Devi Priya - Thats great that your kids love the sprouts.

Simran - thanks :)

Sig - lol - thanks - my humble attempt to get a healthy start to the day!

Ranji - yup, it is!

Lisa Turner said...

Thanks for your entry this month! I don't usually serve lentils for breakfast, but this is no doubt a very satisfying start to the day!

Arundathi said...

Lisa - you're welcome! I start the day with lots of protein which keeps me full for a long time and gives me lots of energy! :-)

Ivy said...

I saw your recipe from the round up. Sounds delicious.

Arundathi said...

Ivy - thanks so much - I have to go check the round-up!