Saturday, May 24, 2008

Garbanzo Beans

I was planning to take some fancy photos for Click this month and my mind has been constantly thinking about the prep for the photograph. And then I made this garbanzo beans curry, and took some photographs - and there it was - I never did realize when I was taking it. Here's my entry for Click:


I like the photo because you can almost feel the heat off the screen! And I love the look of the curry bubbling and simmering - a beautiful base for lovely beans.

And it follows with a recipe too:

Garbanzo Beans Curry/ Channa Masala

2 cans Garbanzo Beans (about 3 cups), drained and rinsed
3 medium Tomatoes, chopped
2 large Onions, chopped
5 small Green Chillies, sliced lengthwise
3 tbsp Cumin Seeds
1 tbsp Ginger Paste
1 tbsp Garlic Paste
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 tsp Turmeric
3 tbsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Fenugreek Leaves, chopped
1 cup Water
1 tbsp Oil
Salt, to taste

(its a long list - but really not difficult to put together!)

Heat some oil in a pan. Add cumin and onion and saute till onions are brown. Add ginger, garlic pastes and green chillies. Allow it to cook until the raw garlic smell disappears.

Add beans and saute till well blended with the spices. Add chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, salt and mix well. Let it cook for 5 minutes.

Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Toss in the fenugreek leaves while the water is boiling.

Reduce to medium and let it continue to cook until the curry gets a thick consistency. Add chopped cilantro leaves as garnish. Serve with rice or roti.


Day 8 of the Recipe Marathon is off to a slow start on a lazy Saturday. Valli made a south Indian favorite. Siri brought in a little sunshine to cool off! Raaga made a beautiful looking soup. And Divya made a hot spicy bhajji. Bhags' made her own mustard. Lakshmi has some roasted taro. I just want to reach in and grab Ranji's Mango Kulfi! So let's finish off this great round of recipes with a cold beer! :)

19 comments:

Siri said...

Oh my, now I am feeing damn hungry..am still on bed piled up with books all over and ur chana masala is stimulating my empty stomach Anu..:)

Off I am to make sumthing hot and spicy..!

Siri

SASHREE said...

that looks really amazing arundathi.first time to ur blog,u have nice set of recipies.chana masala is my fav one

Anonymous said...

Lovely chickpea curry - and what a picture! I can almost hear it cooking and smell the wonderful aromas.

Sunshinemom said...

Wow! Look at the steam:) lovely. I made pindi chhole yest.

ranji said...

channa masala and chapthi..nothing can go wrng here...delcious combo:)

Srivalli said...

Slurp!..too good..athamma was eying your roti!~

Arundathi said...

@ Siri - Let me know what you made - and good luck with the studying!

@ Sashree - Thanks for stopping by! Gonna go check out your blog now!

@ Vegeyum - That's exactly how I felt - it captured the heat and the aromas of this wonderful curry!

@ Sunshine - Where's the recipe? :)

@ Ranji - yup - Thanks!

@ Valli - lol the roti is just a plain old chapati (we don't make many fancy rotis in my house). But I'm gonna be sending you something for your mela, not to worry! :)

Unknown said...

Love the channa..And nice click too..

Cham said...

Nice click with steam

Swati Raman Garg said...

too good yaar... d roti too looks good.. i soaked d chana i had u know:)

bee said...

no anardana and amchur? i prefer not to use them. i find them too strong. this is a lovely CLICK.

notyet100 said...

i thought click was just for natural form,,,ur looks great,..:-)

bha said...

The first pic makes my nose work hard....trying to inhale the aroma from there

Anonymous said...

Hi Arundathi, I've only recently discovered your blog - I've been reading your posts on Chennai and its restaurants as well, on your other blog, and I just wanted to say that I love your writing. I also want desperately to visit Chennai again - it seems to have changed a HUGE amount since I was there last. I'm making a list of places to take my husband to, whenever we get a chance to visit India next! :) Thanks for all the good posts!

Anonymous said...

PS: list of places = list of restaurants (just to make it clear!) :)

Arundathi said...

Divya - Thanks
Cham - Thanks :)

Swati - thanks! everyone's commenting on the roti - its just a plain old chapati!

Bee - I like the curry to have as little spice/herbs as possible to keep the flavors fresh. Yeah - those overpower everything. Thanks!

Notyet - Thanks!

Bhags - lol! Wish the Internet had smell-o-vision! :)

Anonymous said...

That looks really Yummy and mouthwatering arundathi.First time to ur blog,u have lovely blog.chana masala is one of my favorites.

Arundathi said...

welcome sireesha :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. I love a good chana masala! I've been craving chickpeas for some time now, and I can't wait to try your version!