Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mango Pound Cake

When I was a student, I really didn't have time and didn'tknow how to cook well! I just kinda heated up soup every now and then, but most often I ate cereal. Well, one weekend a friend of mine many miles away suggested we cook together and make lasagna. It was quite an adventure for me, so all set with my groceries, I prepared to cook over the phone with my friend. It was so much fun that we ended up making a regular saturday morning thing, and the food would last us all week, which is excellent when you are a student, and you have time only to reheat.

Well, many years later, I heard that my two namesakes, Arundati and Arundhati, were cooking "alongside" each other. I remembered those lovely saturday mornings and couldn't wait to join their little group. And others wanted to join too, both excellent bakers with excellent bloggers, Aparna and Nandita. Not easy. This group is quite intimidating. Just see their blogs to see how adept they all are. So here we are, The Baking Club (yeah, we're kinda basic in our name. We'll try to come up with something a little more innovative soon?).


As its summer and mangoes are everywhere in abundance, we decided to bake lovely mango pound cakes. My family really enjoyed it, and my daughter helped me bake it and she had lots of fun. Its a simple, fun recipe from Parita's Kitchen that really showcases the mango. Since I didn't make any changes, you can check the original recipe here with step-by-step photos too!

Enjoy the lovely summer and look for more from the cool baking club!

7 comments:

Raaga said...

The cake looks great! Like the ones the bakeries sell!

Priya said...

Cake looks super delicious,spongy and irresistible..

Priya Sreeram said...

nice looking cake !

Aparna said...

I agree. Think your cake looks pretty good, Arundathi.
Kinda like The Baking Club, tells it like it is. :)
This was fun!

arundati said...

looks good.... i finally posted mine!

Vinod said...

I did not get any!,

Joy said...

I tried the recipe and it turned out wonderful. Thank you