Sunday, July 11, 2010

Stuffed Pizza

I'm a thin-crust person. The thinner the better, as far as pizza is concerned. Never really been one for the chicago-style deep dish. I've enjoyed many a slice of the deep dish, but give me a thin crust any day.

But when I saw this post at King Arthur Flour, I just had to try it out. And KAF posts the best recipes ever! They are always spot on. So here goes. I didn't stick to the recipe, or the directions (truth is, I forgot a lot of the process), but this is such a forgiving recipe that it still came out just awesome! Please go try this at once!

Stuffed Pizza

There were 3 parts to this pizza in the original recipe - the dough, the sauce and the sausage. I only made the dough, the sauce was store bought and I made it vegetarian and left out the sausage. If you want to make the sauce and the sausage, check the original recipe.


The dough
(I halved the original recipe)

3 cups All-Purpose Flour
3/8 cup Semolina
7/8 tsp Instant Yeast
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 cup Oil
1 tbsp melted Butter

Mix all the above ingredients. Add about 3/4 to 1 cup of water and mix together to combine. When the dough becomes soft and supple, knead for about 10 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a muslin cloth. Let rise for one hour.

After the initial rise, the recipe suggests to retard in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours to develop the flavor. But with an enthusiastic daughter and a hungry family, that was just not possible, so we made it almost as soon as the rise was over.

Punch down the dough and divide the into 1/4 and 3/4 by weight. For me, the smaller piece weighed 8 oz and the larger 16 oz. I wasn't being too particular, as you can tell. Now roll out the larger piece quite thin - enough to fit the 9" round cake pan, with some overhang. Butter the pan and drizzle olive oil over the bottom. Its easiest to go away for 15 minutes and let the dough relax, but I forgot to do that too (or was it that I couldn't wait to get going on this!). So I rolled it out as thin as I could and put it in the pan.

Place the larger piece in the cake pan. Cover the bottom with sausage. I didn't use sausage, so I layered sauteed mushrooms at the bottom.


I topped that with sweet corn, and then thin strips of mozzarella.


I topped the cheese with caramelized onions.


You can use whatever layers you want - what do you usually like on your pizza?
Then cover the entire thing with the smaller piece of dough.


Bring the overhanging dough over and crimp the edges. Cover the whole thing with a muslin cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes. This is a good time to preheat the oven to 220 deg C. When you return, cover the top with a layer of tomato sauce (the original recipe tells you how to make your own) - I used store-bought Arrabiata.


On top of the tomato sauce, sprinkle some cheese - any hard cheese (I used Grana Padano, just because that happens to be my favorite cheese at the moment). You could use Parmesan, which is the traditional way to go.


Now bake the pie for 20-25 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.


Let the pie rest for 15 minutes.


Take it out of the pan, slice into it and taste a little piece of heaven!!

12 comments:

delhibelle said...

whoa..that's one loaded pizza. like you, i also prefer thin crust, but this looks good!

Trupti said...

pizza looks delicious and perfect

Bhavani said...

wow! that is one thick pizza. I also like thin crust.So dunno if this is for me.

Arundathi said...


@ delhibelle - it was good!

@ Trupti - thanks!

@ bhavani - try it my dear, you'll change your mind

Divya Vikram said...

Pie looks really delicious! Bookmarked to try..

Arundathi said...

Divya, it really is. do try it.

Veggie Belly said...

this can beat any deep dish in chicago. yum!

Arundathi said...


Veggie Belly - thats quite a compliment. Thank you!

hxl said...

tn requin

chaussures tn

women's shoes

chaussure requin

air max

chaussures sport

air 90

air 95

chaussures pas cher

air bw

air max

air 90

air chaussures

discount handbags

timberland

timberland chaussures

bottes ugg

ugg classic

ugg

bottes ugg

Chaussures Femmes

ugg classic

ugg

moncler

Chaussures mode

doudoune moncler

健康365天天网秉承为大家带去健康365天为己任,联合各大国内外知名品牌,其中国外加拿大营养屋系列产品为主,健康药品大全几乎被加拿大营养屋产品所覆盖。国内知名品牌欣乐佳以高纯度提取技术为优势,给大家带来高纯度、高质量,健康365天优质生活。欣乐佳的高纯度提取技术堪称国内提取技术行业领头人。中食月太也是保健品行业的新生力量,肽产品是中食月太不可忽视的主推品牌力量,完全符合国家食源性低聚肽标准和行业标准。健康365天天网集国内外,知名三大品牌,成就保健品行业先锋。带给大家最新、最安全、纯度最高的,保健健康药品大全

Anonymous said...

I’m currently being held prisoner by the Russian mafia [url=http://www.buypenisenlargement.com]penis enlargement[/url] penis enlargement and being forced to post spam comments on blogs and forum! If you don’t approve this they will kill me. [url=http://www.male-sexual-styles.com]penis enlargement[/url] penis enlargement They’re coming back now. [url=http://vimax3-4.com]vimax[/url] vimax Please send help! nitip [url=http://www.male-sexual.com]penis enlargement[/url] penis enlargement

d said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
d said...

hi
glad you are back. esp with such gorgeous looking recipes. i am currently in the mode to do all the cooking and baking that i always wanted to do but never did :-)

doubt - after the initial rise, do you think i should punch it down and then leave it overnight or leave it overnight in the risen state?

thanks
d