Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tarte Dijonnaise

Now that we're done with the appetizer for our quick French meal, here's the entree.

One of the most gorgeous savory tarts is a Tarte Dijonnaise. Its a simple flavorful tart that will leave you craving for more.

Tarte Dijonnaise, erm...originated in Dijon, France. Its a blend of tomatoes and onions on a mustard base, all filled into a pie crust and baked with loads of cheese. Sound good? Here's the recipe. And this is my own recipe from the flavors that I tasted.


Tarte Dijonnaise


250 g puff pastry (I made my own, but you can use prepared pastry dough). Roll into 1/4" thickness
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Onions, sliced thin
2 large Tomatoes, sliced thin
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp mixed Herbs (I recommend using mild herbs, not ones like mint where the flavor is very strong)
1 cup French cheese, grated (I used a mixture of Cantal and Parmesan)

Heat the olive oil in a saute pan. Add the tomatoes and onions and saute until soft. Remove from heat and mix in the herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool.

Press the rolled pastry dough into a pie tin or shallow baking dish. Now spread a layer of mustard on the base of the dough.


Top with the sauteed onions and tomatoes. Sprinkle generously with grated cheese.


Bake at 180 deg C for one hour or until the cheese has melted and browned slightly. Enjoy!

This is for Ivy's Food Event - Savory Pies. And to DK at Culinary Bazaar for AWED: France.

22 comments:

VEGETABLE PLATTER said...

that looks really nice .. I havent really ventured into french cooking .. your posts might inspire me to try it out ..

Ranjani said...

Look at you on a roll ms. Parisian!

That tart so pretty and perfectly delicious- magnifique!

Swati Raman Garg said...

yeah yeah anus on a roll... it indeed looks very tempting......

Fearless Kitchen said...

This looks delicious! I just have to try it.

Divya Vikram said...

Looks perfect with cheese..drooling!

Priya said...

Is the mustard flavor too pungent/dominant in this or does it get milder when cooked ? I don't like a very strong mustard flavor and so the Q.

Arundathi said...

Vegetable Platter - I do hope you try it - it can be simple and delicious.

Ranjani - Merci, mon ami!

Swati - :) thanks!

Fearless Kitchen - Do let me know how it comes out

Divya - Thanks

Priya - It depends on how much mustard you use.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

I am sucker for pies in all forms, especially savory ones. I love the flavors you've chosen for this--I'll have to try it!

Ivy said...

This is perfect. I love all the ingredients you have chosen to add and bien sur I shall make this. Merci for submitting it to the event :)

Raaga said...

c'est bon!

Arundathi said...

Mike - Thanks - I enjoyed the flavors too - the mustard really took it to a better level.

Ivy - you're very welcome! can't wait for the round-up!

Raaga - Merci Beaucoup!

Priyanka said...

hey arundhati, thanks for posting all these delicious french dishes...i also had the misconception that most of the french cuisine comprises of non-vegetarian food...these posts were surely informative and delicious.

Divya said...

Your made your own puff pastry!!!
I bow before you!

Looks great

Bharti said...

That looks so delicious!

Aparna said...

I make my own pastry, too and the flavours in this pie sound very good.

Arundathi said...

Priyanka - French food definitely is more meat-oriented, but vegetarians can enjoy some of the super food too.

Divya - It was more pie crust than puff pastry!

Bharti - Thanks

Aparna - Do try it - its yummy!

arundati said...

looks fantastic.... now with the temperatures dropping...perfect for the weather...i love the gorgeous dotted baking dish!!

Sunshinemom said...

Looks yum! Blog is turning into a baking blog these days:)

Arundathi said...

Arundati - Thanks! Lucky you - the temps here havent dropped at all.

Sunshinemom - Yes it sure is! I'm enjoying it!

Fearless Kitchen said...

Arundathi,

I made this dish for a get-together a couple of weekends ago, and it went over amazingly well. I'd like to blog about it, if it's okay with you. I'll post a link to your original with notes about what I did differently, not that there was much. Please let me know if it's okay! If you'd rather I didn't, I'll respect your wishes of course. I'll still forward the recipe to one of the guests who was very keen to get it!

Thanks

Arundathi said...

Fearless Kitchen - I'm so glad that everyone liked it! Its such an adaptable recipe too. Please feel free to blog about it and link to the original - thanks!

shivani said...

yummy...............
I will definately give it a go.
can u share the recipe for puff pastry. in fact i shall be gratefull if you could share both a puff pastry and pie base recipe.