Monday, April 28, 2008

Heart Healthy Granola



I just took part in the Arusuvai Chain which was so much fun. You can read more about it here and here. Harini @ Sunshine Mom sent me my mystery ingredient - and it really was a mystery. We had bets at home, and I opened it up to my fellow blogger friends and they knew right away. And Harini confirmed the answer - Amaranth Flour (or Rajgiri, in Hindi).

I've never used it or tasted it before, but that was what was so exciting. I didn't want to do an Indian dish or use it in a traditional way. Amaranth flour is usually used to make chikki (a peanut sweet), or theplas. I wanted to do something different and this took some time and research.

I finally found this recipe for lovely granola. I've always wanted to make granola at home, and this sounded perfect. So, here we go, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.



Heart Healthy Granola
(adapted from here)

1 1/2 cup amaranth flour
1 cup chopped walnuts (you could also use peanuts or almonds)
3/4 cup mashed banana
2/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup potato starch (potato water)
1/8 cup walnut oil (I used regular cooking oil - anything light tasting should work)
1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Mix flour, potato starch, walnuts, peanuts, cinnamon and coconut in large bowl.



Mix bananas, honey, lemon juice, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl.




Stir liquid into dry mixture.

Spread evenly into oiled pan (You have to spread it very thin and very even - I found out the hard way that the thickness shouldn't be more than a 1/4 inch)

Bake at 300 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes until golden brown and crumbly.

After cooling, stir in raisins.

It tasted really really good with plain yogurt - I used a little more than 2 bananas, so mine was a little more fruity and chewy. If you want it crunchy, dry roast it in a pan over medium heat, and it becomes more like store-bought granola. I like mine chewy.

To continue the Arusuvai Chain, I am now sending a mystery package to Lulu of Lulu Loves Bombay (check out her blog, its delicious). Can't wait to see what she makes!




This is my entry for April's WTSIM hosted by Johanna at The Passionate Cook.

16 comments:

Srivalli said...

anu..thats one innovative dish...picture looks great and why didn't update the next person in line??...I thought you said you had somebody in line??...

nandita said...

That sounds yummy! Although I have seen amaranth flour around here, is it coarse like the roasted amaranth used for chikki or fine like regular atta? Would love to try this out.

ANJALI J. said...

You are so innovative.. Lovely pics.

Roma said...

Must have taken so much time to think of what to make with Rajgiri. Granola looks delicious.

bee said...

i'd love to try this (sans cinnamon). amaranth flour is also great in breads.

Arundathi said...

@ Srivalli - OMG I completely forgot to add the next stage to the post. Will amend it now. Thanks for reminding me!

@ Nandita - its fine like regular atta - mostly tasteless, odorless, and a faint off-white. I know all this trying to guess what it was! lol!

@ Anjali - Thanks!

@ Roma - It did take a while - only because I was trying not to make the usual stuff. Thanks!

@ Bee - Let me know how it turns out. You could easily leave out the cinnamon. I don't really bake very well which is why I didn't attempt the bread - but yes, I saw many recipes for bread and they all looked delicious!

Cham said...

Lovely idea, i should use this flour...Granola is yum:)

Mansi Desai said...

that looks beautiful Arundhati!:)

notyet100 said...

LOOKS DELICIOUS AND YUMMY,,,,FEEL LIKEEATING IT RIGHT NOW

Arundathi said...

@ Cham, Mansi & NotYet - Thank you so much! :)

Divya Vikram said...

That was an innovative recipe..

Uma said...

the granola looks so delicious. really very creative.

Arundathi said...

thanks uma and divya...!

Homecooked said...

This looks really healthy and delicious!

Anonymous said...

Great article you got here. It would be great to read more concerning this matter. Thanx for posting this material.

Milwaukee Art Museum said...

Nice! This is really very unique information I found found here... very interesting for reading. Thank you for posting that information.